Sunday, January 18, 2009

No rest for the rest of us

We live in a four-family apartment building. On the lower level. While it's nice because we get an extra entrance, and don't have to cart all the kids up the stairs, there are some things that are less than ideal.

The apartment building was not built with the idea that maybe you DON'T want to hear everything that happens in the building. And I do mean EVERYTHING! We have a family above us that has a dad that works third shift, and 2 teenagers. The son has been given everything he's ever wanted, and never gets in trouble for anything.

So now that he's a teenager, and there's no one there to supervise, we've had to deal with parties almost every night. I've been woken up at 2:30 to the sounds of God knows what. Tonight was the last straw. Anyone that knows me, knows that while I don't really like confrontation, I value my sleep above everything except my children's health. That will ALWAYS be more important.

So after an hour of music so loud I had to turn up the TV to hear it when I was only 6 feet from it, and not being able to hear myself think, I went upstairs to confront the little punk we have living upstairs from us.

At 18 or 19 years old, I expect a level of maturity. Maybe not a lot, but a little bit of respect would be nice. I was told that we are loud too. Which is true. I have 4 kids, ages 10 to 3 months. I can't really tell the 3 month old that she has to stop crying so the upstairs jerks don't have a bird.

So, I'll be drafting a letter to send to our property owners. It states in our lease that noise should be at a minimum to show courtesy to the other tenants. So if I can't do anything because no one in that apartment cares, then the landlord can. If they don't...well I don't see them having a choice since it's in our lease.

We'll see what happens.

No comments: